Business Growth & Optimisation
Stop letting your business run your life
Proactively driving your business forward will allow you the time, and piece of mind, to enjoy your achievements and prepare for the next step.
Planning comes in many forms:
- Cash flow forecasting
- P&L forecasting / review
- Strategic / Operational planning
- Project specific due diligence
- Risk identification and mitigation
- Capital expenditure plans
I find that once I have assisted clients to develop their plans, as required by the size and complexity of their respective businesses, most directors report a sense of relief and a weight lifted.
Are you doing well and looking to grow?
Have you identified opportunities?
Are there opportunities for your business that you could be acting on but need to manage the risks
Is it time to document your direction?
Will improved efficiencies improve profits?
Do you need to control your growth?
When do you seek help and what help is available?
Why Plan & Forecast?
- Strategic planning clarifies and reinforces direction
- P&L forecasting provides monthly targets
- Cash flow forecasting identifies upcoming shortfalls
- Professional documentation opens funding doors
- Risk assessments lead to mitigation & stability
- Planning allows for informed decision making
- Opportunities often require immediate action
- Director and management confidence improves culture
- High quality staff want to work for stable companies
- Improved brand will bring opportunity to you
Make Informed Decisions
Undertaking a structured planning process leads to the development of:
- Strategic direction
- Capital expenditure budgets
- Resourcing requirements schedules
- Cash flow management
- Profitability forecasting
- Stakeholder confidence
- Greater access to funding / investors
Analyse your business to identify opportunities to improve efficiencies, control costs, diversify product/service offerings
Vertical / Horizontal
Plan ahead and take control of your business
Be prepared to React and Respond
An unforeseen event or critical issue that is beyond your control, or perhaps as a result of inadequate risk management, can be incredibly stressful. Reacting in a structured, timely manner can greatly minimise the damage to your business.
If you are experiencing a crisis or unforeseen event, we can step in and help you to minimise the damage, liaise with external parties, access funding and implement immediate controls. The quicker this is done, the better the results.
Alternatively, we can help you prepare in advance for a future crisis by:
- Identifying the risks to your business
- Documenting the risk mitigation activities that will be implemented to decrease the risk
- Clearly outlining the steps that would be taken in the event of a risk materialising
This allows you to react to the situation by undertaking immediate tasks, such as implementing temporary procedures, engaging pre-determined third parties, accessing pre-approved finance, making insurance claims, operating off-premises, recovering data, using alternate suppliers.
The process is tailored to the business size and complexity and does not need to be an ‘over the top’ time consuming exercise.
Your response to an undesirable business event should be managed by creating a Short Term Strategy. Those businesses that have already developed a Strategic Plan, and underlying Operational Plan, will be in a much better position to respond to unforeseen events or critical issues.
If you find yourself in a situation where you need to create a Short Term Strategy, we can assist with assessment and advice on the options, including implementation and ongoing support.
Many businesses find that being forced to consider an alternate Short Term Strategy can lead to brainstorming ideas that are adopted on a longer term basis, thereby finding the silver lining in the crisis.
Ensure your business is Stable and Sustainable
I find most businesses, who are not facing an immediate crisis, are somewhere in this category. The directors that I engage with are generally very positive and enthusiastic about their business, have many ideas on how they want to take the business forward, but have not taken the steps to document, plan and control this process.
To improve the stability of your business you first need to understand where the business is at now.
A business assessment will help you to identify both efficiencies/deficiencies in internal processes and cost saving opportunities, review profitability, product margins, HR assets/liabilities and analyse your cash flow position, customer profiles and target markets.
Understanding the elements that make up your business, and identifying those areas that can be improved, provides invaluable information to directors that would like to streamline operations and improve profits, leading to a much more stable environment. The process will also provide the information necessary to undertake a planning project as outlined in Sustainability.
A GOAL WITHOUT A PLAN IS JUST A WISH
This is so true – you know where you want to take your business, or it may simply be that you just hope you can keep doing what you are doing, but you are not following a plan that is going to get you there.
‘Hope’ is not a Strategy
Once you have undertaken a business assessment, as outlined in Stabilty, the next step is to develop the plan on how to improve your business and ensure it is sustainable.
Documents are developed in line with business size and can include:
- Strategic Plan – an overview of your company goals and the major milestones and timelines
- Operational Plan – the supporting detailed plan for each of your Strategic Goals
- Cash Flow Forecast – monthly/weekly cash flow tool that allows you to understand your cash position now and into the immediate future
- P&L Budgets/Forecasts – a plan as to how you are going to reach your profit margin goals
- Risk Management & Mitigation Strategy – taking control of the events that can impact your business before they even occur
I always ensure that my clients are left with both the tools and skills necessary to undertake ongoing regular reviews so that the business remains stable and the directors are in complete control.
Gear up for Growth
You have worked hard to ensure you have a Stable and Sustainable business. It is cash flow positive, returning a profit and ready to take the next step.
Now is the time to assess how to utilise the excess capital to achieve the greatest return.
- Increase existing market share
- Widen the customer pool
- Expand geographically
- Diversify your product lines
- Buy out a customer, competitor or supplier
- Invest in commercial property (perhaps the business premises)
- Other options as relevant to your business & industry
Be ready to take advantage of opportunities by understanding your long term goals, including your exit strategy, discussing funding options with your lenders and ensuring that you can manage the growth and associated risks.
Planning & Forecasting will ensure that your business is:
- Spending minimal time reacting & responding to crisis / unforeseen events
- Stable – cash flow positive and managed effectively
- Sustainable – staying ahead of competitors
- Identifying & controlling risk
- Prepared to take advantage of growth opportunities
- Giving you the freedom to enjoy your successes
How we can help
& Operational Review
- Business review including
- Products / Services
- Processes / Procedures
- Cash flow forecast
- P&L forecast
- Industry & market analysis
- Risk assessment
- Insolvency impact assessment
- Strategic Plan
- Operational Plan (outline and templates)
FULLY QUALIFIED & INSURED
High Level or
Project Specific Review
- High level business review
- High level Strategic Plan
- Cash flow forecast
- P&L forecast
- Agreed as per scope requirements